Probably something we should have done sooner, but we finally got some grape trellises set up and some planted our second year in.
There are some muscadines on the property already , and we have been eating them and making jelly from them, but we wanted more grapes. So fingers crossed ,in a few years we will have loads of them!
For the trellises we used old cedar posts that we had on the property already. For what to run between them we looked at the standard wire options, but with more thought we decided to go with t-posts. Easy to get, last forever, and are actually cheaper than most of the wire/ wire hardware needed to support grapes. So with some T posts and electrical conduit clasps we had some trellises. Only hard part was digging the holes but even that was not to bad. We managed to plant these right on top of a snake nest too. Luckily, it was October when we first started the digging and it was only eggs that we found.
We have planted four vines so far. Two white and two red. The two white are called Niagara and the two red are Mars.
None of them have died yet, so that is a start! We even have a small handful of grapes on the older Mars variety we planted. It feels very promising!