The layout of our property has two really good garden spots that are about 25ftx50ft. They are near the bottom of the property. We have a third one that is on a hillside that is the same size and it is ok. The sweet potatoes loved it and we got a few watermelons. We are hoping a year or two with chickens on it will improve it .
We tried a spot on top of the little hill next to the orchard, for about 2 years but both years it failed or the wind got too bad up there and it destroyed everything that grew.
So we planted more fruit trees in that area so we would not be tempted to use it again. It works out well, because the very top of the hill doesn’t seem to like the orchard trees lots and this gave us lots more room to expand.
With the three garden spots, we are rotating our chickens to a new spot each year. So we really only have two a year we can plant on.
There is a spot between where the grapes start and the herb bed that could work. It is on a slight hill , and will be shaded the first hours of the day. So while it isn’t ideal, it’s what we have at the moment. Maybe it can be for lettuces or a long term bed for asparagus.
Eventually after the house is built and we know where all the water lines will we can have more options on where to put garden spots.
We’re still very happy with our process of using the chickens to improve the soil. It’s about as natural as you can get and while it does take some time, we love getting the eggs and just enjoy the chickens.
We got the new spot tilled up. Going to plant it this year. Will be interesting to see this year compared to the next when the chickens have had time on it.
The net moves quickly which with the rotational chicken grazing plan. That is why we bought it .
The chickens enjoyed the move, at least we didn’t hear anyone complain, and within an hour the net and charger was set up and the chickens were in their new home.
With three 25ft by 50ft beds they have plenty of work to do . The plan again is to let them stay on one garden bed and plant on the other 2. With only doing this on one plot so far, we are already seeing improvement in our plants.
As you can see the chickens are already fast at work . Only a month in and they have already picked everything they wanted.
The only thing left for us to do is go in and knock down the things they did not want and then to start giving scraps, wood chips, and give them a compost pile to work .
The garden results this year were fantastic. We planted two sections – one that had the chickens on it for 6 months and one that only had compost spread by us on it. The chicken prepped garden grew over twice as fast and produced ten times the vegetables. We knew it would help, but the level of success was even more than expected.
With the limited land we have getting ten times more out of the same space just makes sense.
As you can see, it is time for the chickens to move again, to till this plot up and let us get to planting!
Once the barn expansion was done we started plans to do our first batch of Meat Chickens.
We ordered Cornish Cross, online from Murray McMurray Hatchery.
Chicks showed up happy and healthy with zero losses.
We ended up with 27 and did have one loss as an adult , and the rest went to the freezer.
It was an enjoyable process. They go from hatched to freezer in about 60 days so that is a lot of growing to do in a short time. We would like to add a way for them to be on grass to help the feed bill, but that will come in the future.
There were not as easy to process as rabbits, but pretty close. It is nice to have variety in the freezer.
As we said we ended up putting 26 in the freezer, with an average weight of 6lbs and a total weight of over 150lbs processed. The smallest was 3lbs 14 oz and the largest was just over 8 lbs!
After we have been eating these , it will be hard to every go back to store bought chicken again.
Almost as soon as we nailed the last board on the barn redo, we started planning a barn expansion .
We had talked about doing a round of meat chickens and needed a place to put them. We talked about putting them in the electric netting set up like our egg layers, but the place we like to purchase from were out of stock.
So because it is never a bad thing to have another pen area to lock stuff up in, we decided to build one.
The left hand side of the barn had enough space for what we were after.
The barn made it easier by already having one wall up, so we just dug the holes and made it semi level.
We went with the metal around the bottom just like the rest of the barn. We like the look and it helps with splash up form the rain stopping eventually rotting boards. Around the top was easy with some fencing wrapped around. The roof we put up the same clear panels as the green house and used some tin we had taken off the barn to give more light in the rabbit area.
Lined the inside of the bottom with rocks, to make it harder for anything to scratch out or dig in. Finished the floor with wood chips, added a door big enough for a wheelbarrow and it was ready for chickens.
We raised out 25 Cornish cross in the pen without much trouble. Only had one loss towards the end , not sure what happened. After processing we had over 150 lbs of meat in the freezer.
In the future we might do a round of ducks or maybe turkeys in the addition, we prefer to raise them on grass which will be the plan, but its nice to have a place to lock them up if need be.
The bonus is the deep bedding that is being broken down by having the animals in there, all the plants on the homestead will benefit from it.